Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Monday, September 24, 2007
Sunday, September 23, 2007
Friday, September 21, 2007
it's like ben is singing to himself, squared. and tell me he's not looking a little wee bit edward furlong on the left, there - is he not?
ben kweller played one of the best shows i've seen at the echo - he played the entire "On My Way" album from start to finish, a few new tunes for the encore and even gave away a wolf hat. but alas not to me.
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Sunday, September 16, 2007
the griffith park pool is officially closed. today when the lifeguard cooed, "thanks - see you next summer!" from his watchtower perch, i seriously felt like crying.
we learned a lot about public bathing this summer:
• the public pool is a cross-section of your community - griffith park attracts latino families, eastern european seniors who float about aquacizing and talking, cops who like to tan, hungover/pale/anemic hipsters in vintage bathing suits, a few semi-professional (or at least very serious) synchronized swimmers, semi-serious lap swimmers and people without air conditioning
• eating is only allowed on the adjacent lawn area, even if it's only trail mix
• there is no dilly-dallying around the edge of the pool - if you take too long getting into the water, you will get yelled at
• pictures are not allowed due to problems with pedophiles
• occasionally someone has "an accident" in the pool and everyone has to go home early
• at $1.25 for adults and free for persons with disabilities or a library card, the pool is, by far, the best deal in town